Listening to: Cotton Wool, Lamb
I've had the flu since Monday and today (Saturday) is the first day in almost a week where I have not been feeling dizzy, groggy, clammy, crappy or just plain yucky.
It started off as a horrible, dry, choking cough in the middle of the night but it wasn't until lunchtime that I started to feel unwell. So it was back to bed, where I stayed, pretty much, through to Thursday.
Friday I could move around a bit more but anything too energetic (like picking something off the floor) still set off vertigo like feelings in my gut.
But the worst symptom of this virus infestation of my body was what it did to my olfactory system. It was like rotten flesh soaked in the most foulest thing you can think of was inside my mouth and nose and everything tasted and smelt the same, only its intensity increased if the fragrance was stronger. So toast smelt and tasted worse than just plain uncooked bread, which still didn't taste anything like bread. Apples were about the only thing that didn't taste like the north end of a southbound (and very dead) camel... Figure that one out?
I went to see a doctor on Thursday afternoon. He was the most useless person I have ever met. Apparently I had a virus and he wrote out a medical certificate for the week with the reason for me being unfit for work was because I was suffering from "a medical condition". The Monday was a public holiday and my employer demands a medical certificate for any sick days taken prior to or after public holidays and weekends. I hope they're happy with "a medical condition".
This is by no means another excuse for not writing. I don't really have one anyway.
But if I was going to try an excuse I'd say, there's been a lot going on. For one, my wife is studying so she is often on the computer polishing up her assignment (What, you expect me to write with a pen?... on paper? Are you mad?).
Then there's the usual distractions of the warmer months, but I can tell by the sudden plummet of the mercury when the sun drops over the horizon that autumn is here and winter will be close on its heels so my pursuits will shift indoors... hopefully.
There's definitely no distractions on the television. Nothing is really floating my boat at the moment. I don't like cop/law stories, hospital stories, American sit-coms, game shows or reality TV (especially reality TV). That rules out American and Australian shows. Leaving British sit-coms and documentaries. In Australia that means tuning into the ABC. But even there I've only found a few programs that peak my interests.
One is Extras, which is so brilliantly written that you actually feel the gut wrenching pains of embarrassment as the characters and celebrity guests insult just about every demographic you can think of.
Another has been Around the World in 80 Treasures, but the presenter, Dan Cruikshank's whispering and constant touching of artifacts can get on my nerves (I'm shocked that this program aired two years ago in the UK. Why does it take so long to get programs on to the Australian airways? No wonder illegal downloading via bit torrents is rife here, but even that is crippled by our poor "broadband" speeds).
My old favourite, Time Team is still showing every Tuesday night at 6pm (we're years behind on that one as well).
So there's my round up on influenza, useless medical certificates, weak excuses and a whinge about TV and download speeds.
Ciao until next time... Maybe I'll actually have wirtten something for my book by then. You never know; stranger things have happened.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment