Friday, August 31, 2007

Plodding Along

Listening to: Silent Sigh, Badly Drawn Boy

It's funny how the human brain works. I hadn't added anything to Coma City for a couple of months and then on Monday night I'm washing the dishes and a whole new idea comes to me, complete with dialogue and locations.

I have no idea what stimulated the thought process, one second I'm wondering if I should wash the pots or the knives first, and the next, my mind is awash with fresh ideas.

Naturally, I got stuck into writing them down - after watching Californication, a TV show about an author with writers block :-). At first I only intended to jot down the ideas in point form but they were so vivid and the words were flowing easily so I just wrote until I came, much to my surprise, to the end of the chapter and the perfect ending for the story - but not the end of the book, I have an epilogue, of which I have already written about 75% of, that conveniently ties up the loose ends.

I was up until 3am but it was worth it just to get those 2000+ words down.

Word count is now at 18,888.

No comments: