Listening to: Sigur Ros, (3).
I've been reading William Gibson's Neuromancer - or re-reading to be precise, I've read it numerous times since I first came across it about 20 years ago (Gibson wrote it in 1983) - an amazing novel, even now that the World Wide Web has been around for 15 years and it was written a decade before the first browser became available, it's still a very credible story. Gibson has an amazing vision for sub-cultures and how technologies can affect humanity... way before the technology actually exists.
Revisiting Neuromancer has brought some inspiration back to me (the reason I dug it out of the bookshelf was in the hope that it would provide some motivation). I've cleaned up a little plot splice I had a few issues with and made that fit nicely with some new material I've been slowly working into the story.
After 5 years Coma City still isn't near finished but it's always nagging away in my mind. Sometimes that nag is loud enough to get me hunched over a keyboard for a couple of hours, other times it's barely a whisper.
To be honest I'm really pissed off at myself for not having finished the book. My sister was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the year and by the middle of the year her prognosis was very bleak so I set myself a goal of finishing my book for her to read, or at least having something close to a story, that flowed logically from beginning to end, within a couple of months. I had been telling her about my book for years and she was keen to see it come to fruition. Unfortunately her bleak prognosis of only surviving to the end of the year became a lot bleaker in August and she passed away that same month, leaving everyone with unfulfilled wishes and heavy hearts.
I love you Louise and miss you every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment