Listening to: Immature, Bjork
What's with these Jason's? I just commented on Jason Heglund the minimalist blogger and now I'm reading about Jason Bartholme who is asking readers of his blog to donate money so he can buy an Apple MacBook because he has to pay his other expenses ("bills, diapers, baby food, etc.") but would like a new laptop that will "serve me well as an SEO and web developer". Donors in return will have their name listed on his web page http://www.jasonbartholme.com/donations-laptop-fund/
This seems to me to be a ludicrous request. Jason has his own web site, dedicated to web development and by his own admission is working in this line of work (Under the About tab is Jason's description of himself, "I am a ColdFusion application developer by day and an aspiring search engine optimizer (SEO) by night.") so he could save up and buy his own laptop or if he needs it ASAP (which he doesn't as he admits it is not a priority) he could always rent one and claim the payments on his tax return since the laptop would be used for work purposes. The point is he's not without the means of paying for his own trinkets - there's not even a sob story about being out of work or how his last laptop was stolen or his baby has a rare illness that requires an unusual amount of diapers.
Surely there's other ways to make some extra cash than begging. He has one Google ad on his
site, maybe he should look into increasing his advertising.
Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the man who created the World Wide Web in 1989, must be mortified by the many and varied means people (and corporations) use the web to pilfer from its users.
I also would love a new MacBook to serve me well as an author but until I can afford one I will make do with what I have. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Check out this article... I think it is funny in light of your post.
7 reasons you should quit your job and start begging!
Yeah Matt, that is funny and right on the money. There's no difference between asking for money on a web site as there is to asking on the street. It's begging and you look pathetic.
However, at least when you're on the street people are more likely to take pity on you... unless you're wearing an Armani suit and a Rolex watch.
Post a Comment