So what have I got show for my absence. Sweet FA really. Sorry.
I have plenty of excuses. None are worth writing about.
A good kick in the arse is what I need to get me going again. I've barely touched Coma City (rearranged some bits, fixed some typos, nothing more than rearranging the chairs on the Titanic).
My sister in-law is also a writer (except she's the type that actually writes), we were talking today about the difficulties of writing and the many and varied styles of story telling. I said to her that I'm struggling because I've been writing in the first-person so every written word is either spoken by or to the main character or they're his thoughts. There's none of the fluff that comes with an external narrative to explain the details.
When I started writing Coma it was easy, it was like I was having a conversation with him. Now I think I've sort of lost that dialogue. He doesn't talk to me anymore... TALK TO ME YOU BASTARD!!!
To remedy this breakdown in communication I've been writing a chapter from his girlfirend's perspective. This has had a couple of benefits; 1) it got me out of the rut I was in. 2) this new perspective has given me a way to fill in some of the details that would not have been visible to the main character. So I'm continuing along this line for now but the story will have to come back to the protagonist soon, even if it is for just the final chapter to have the last word. I just hope I can restart that great dialogue we had back in the beginning.
Steve
Listening to: Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
Saturday, July 27, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment